Monday, July 5, 2010

Raising Healthy Children

It never ceases to amaze me when I see children that are overweight or obese. Nothing breaks my heart more knowing that there are children out there who will not reach the age expectancy of their parents. To me it’s a form of child abuse, and I’ll rant about that more in a future post. The point of this one is to offer a solution.

We have all heard and read that we all need 60 minutes of activity.

“Easier said than done,” you say?

I say better done than said.

Yes, I understand that you’re busy. I understand that time is a precious commodity, and we want to enjoy our children and the growing up process. I am here to make it easier for you.

Here are some activities that children already love to do:

• Bicycling
• Dancing
• Jumping rope
• Rollerblading
• Running
• Skipping
• Swimming

With it being summer time, let your children go out and play and enjoy life!
Here’s the best part:
You can go out and do it with them.

Your children want something more valuable than toys and ice cream, and that is to spend time with you. Some of my favorite memories growing up are with me spending time with my dad in the various sports I played as a kid. That’s what matters most.

Any comments, questions, or suggestions? Leave a comment and let me know!

Make today your day!

2 comments:

  1. Here Here!! Being a lifestyle coach I see it all the time. Families that don't seem to make the connection that 90% of illness and disease (including heart disease and cancer) is PREVENTABLE through our lifestyle decisions. Way to tell it like it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly. When my daughter was an infant and I talked to her doctor about vitamin D supplements, I asked why I couldn't get her the vitamin D she needed by simply sitting with her in dappled sunlight outdoors. There is no substitute for fresh air and sunshine. If a child is getting plenty of both, the activity seems to come naturally.

    That said, our family has a young friend who is recovering from a brain tumor which affected her pituitary. At 5 years old, her weight increased by almost 50% over the course of only 3 months. Her weight gain was part of what led to the diagnosis of her tumor. Her parents have re-introduced activities as her doctor and energy levels have permitted.

    Loosing the weight will take a lot longer than gaining it did, and they really do have to take things slow. It may be months (or longer) before she is physically able to spend 60 minutes per day in physical activity. She may never be the slender girl that her genetics probably pre-disposed her to become.

    I know that her case is rare but It is important to me that we remember that not every case is as obvious as it seems...

    ReplyDelete