Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Power of Good Company

I was at Toastmasters this morning and had a great time. The meeting starts at 6:45am every Thursday, if you’re wondering.

Yes, I said AM.

The club is a lot of fun and we have a talented and (more importantly) a very supportive group. It got me to thinking.

I’m a very lucky guy. I have some of the most supportive friends that you can possibly imagine. I’ve been trying lots of different things over the years.

Professional wrestling.

Radio.

Public speaking.

I’ve had some hits and misses over the years, and I keep trying to find my way through this world anyway. It made me realize the power of the people around us. The company that we keep says a lot about us. It also says a lot about how far we can go and what we can do.

I have talked to and worked with a lot of people over the years when it comes to health and fitness. The complaints are the same for the most part.

People trying to lose weight.

It’s always interesting that most of them really want to lose the weight, and after some probing, there is always a lack of support.

How sad.

It’s impossible to get anything done in this world by yourself.

I’ve tried. Believe me, I know. 

If you’re looking to lose weight (or accomplish any other goal), you need a support system. You need someone to call when you’re feeling not yourself.

(Note: Most people would say weak. I believe that we are stronger beyond all measure and forget.)

You need help.

We all do, and it’s ok to admit.

Michael Jordan didn’t win a championship until Phil Jackson showed up.

Shaq couldn’t win without Dwayne Wade or Kobe.

Kobe couldn’t win without Gasol or Shaq.

Unless you’re a hermit that lives in the mountains…(and if you are, how in the world did you get internet access?), then you have people around you.

Make sure they are good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment